Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring into Gear.

Yesterday, was the first day of Spring.  And the daffodils must have known it too.  I was so surprised to see their bright, daffodil yellow color blooming when I came home. 


"If God gives such attention to the appearance of wildflowers—most of which are never even seen—don't you think he'll attend to you, take pride in you, do his best for you?  Matthew 6:30

I'm really looking forward to getting outside and doing some yard work this year.  I've heard that you should have a plan for your yard.  A landscaping scheme of sorts for the layout.  ...tall things here ....full sun plants there.  I think I need help devising our plan.  Or at least someone to say, yep, looks good.  Our yard has such potential that I'd love to do it all at once but that can get overwelming too.  So, I will be thankful to keep it as a work in progress each summer. 

We went to the Flower and Patio show this weekend and had a blast.  Yep, I definitely have the bug now. 

Also, I never thought I'd say these words but I can't wait to start our own vegetable garden. Growing up, my parents had a big garden.  And in the summer, we'd all get up early to help pick green beans, tomatoes, corn, etc.  Then, we'd go inside for the hottest time of the day, put in a movie (often times, "Anne of Green Gables"), and snap beans.  I'm sure my parents put in most of the work, but as a kid, it didn't seem that way.  Although looking back, my dad did do a lot of the tending to the garden.  And my mom did do all the freezing and canning.  And yet, I think I'm up for the challenge.  There is nothing like picking a ripe tomato, warm from the sun, and eating it right off the vine. ... with a little salt, of course. mmm....

One last thought... I recently caught up with an old high school friend.  We've known each other since first grade, and it was so good to talk as if no time had passed.  After hours of swapping stories and telling new ones, we went home vowing to get together again soon.  The funniest thing she shared, to me, was that she remembered coming over in the summers and helping snap beans!


Our Spring Crocuses!

No comments:

Post a Comment