Monday, March 28, 2011

Dad's Birthday

When we were kids, my brother, sister and I would say that if we had a problem or couldn't figure something out that we should just wait and tell Dad because he could fix it.  My aunt would tease us about thinking that our dad could fix anything.  But honestly, I think she was touched by what a good dad he was to us. 



10 Things I Love about my Dad:
  1. I love his sense of humor.  There are different kinds of humor, but I definitely get my dad's.  I can see his wheels turning at times of how he can twist a word or thought around. 
  2. I love how he makes the effort to make everyone feel welcome and at ease.  He's easy to get along with and will go out of his way to find something that you're interested in to start a conversation.
  3. I love that lately he's taken to serving hors d'oeuvres whenever anyone stops by for a visit to my parents' house.  ... crackers and cheese. sauteed mushrooms. shrimp and shrimp cocktail.  bruschetta and french bread.  a plate of olives.
  4. I love that when I was a senior in high school and dreading the "change" of growing up and going to college, my dad would sit with me.  He'd let me cry and listen to my worries and try to remember back to when he was that age. 
  5. I love that now that I'm older, I can have good adult conversations with my Dad.  It might be about something I'm interested in, he's interested in or what's going on in my life, etc.
  6. I love that my Dad hasn't changed after all of these years.  His humor, his tastes, his love for cars, that he's still a pack-rat, his love of music of all kinds, his never ending ability to eat his meal and your left overs at dinner and still not gain a pound and perhaps still have room for dessert, his love for mowing at any time day or night, his love for being outside in general, he and my mom's love for people, friends and family, ...
  7. I love the memories we have from when we were kids.  We would run to my dad's dresser drawer, pick out one of his t-shirts, which fit more like a dress down past our knees, and wear them to bed.
  8. I love how strong my dad is.  I remember being a child and being amazed at his arm muscles and arm veins that would pop.  All the way up to when I was in high school, my dad would pick me up and hold me in a lap like a baby (with my legs hanging out over the chair) and ask me what's going on. ... i think he was trying to hold on to the days when we were babies!
  9. I love that I saw my parents be baptized, and later, my dad baptized me.
  10. I love that I know how much my dad loves me. 
Thank you, Dad.  I hope you had a very happy birthday today on this, your national holiday day!

1 comment: