Monday, March 8, 2010

The Midnight Run

When you first get married, you often have the joy of buying all the things that make you an adult.  You get things you didn't have a need for before... a spatula to flip your eggs, a carrier to take your cupcakes to a shower, or a lamp for that perfect spot in the study.  But there's also some things that you don't even think of buying, until you absolutely need them. 

Our friends came over a few weeks ago, and we were so excited to hang out.  It seemed every time we tried to plan something it fell through, but finally, we were together.  We'd had a great dinner and were now back at the apartment chilling.  They have two little ones whom we adore (and often quote for months afterwards), and their little boy, Elliot, had done an awesome job that night packing down the mac and cheese.  Little did any of us realize, he was packing it right on down, and it was about to come out.

It was somewhere in the middle of talking about houses and watching the Olympics that Elliot caught my eye.  It was a particular look and body stance that I had seen from him before, and just at about that time, a smell began floating through the air, and Elliot announced to us all, "I'm pooping."  Well, anyone who knows me, knows that that general topic holds a dear place in my (still a kid and maybe I should have been a boy) heart.  I mean, I'm even dedicating an entire blog post to it. 

Needless to say, all attention went to Elliot's "situation."  It was astounding to see such a small, little guy, have such a successful poop.  His dad decided it was so bad that perhaps he should flush the poop down the toilet so Josh and I wouldn't die in the middle of the night due to the fumes.  However, the situation quickly escalated when the poop lodged and didn't flush properly. 

And that's when we realized, we hadn't totally bought everything we needed for our apartment.  It wasn't my husband or I who earned the need for the first plunge while married.  It was our dear, little 2 1/2 year old friend, Elliot whom due to his successful poop caused us to wander out to Wal-Mart in the middle of the night and invest in our first "Mayes plunger." ... which, by the way, we, of course, happened to be completely out of toilet paper and bought the extra large quantity with our plunger investment.. 


.... the perpetrator.

3 comments:

  1. ahahahahah...I LOVE this story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAA! Poor Elliot! I know the feeling! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haahaahaahaa. I still can't believe he made you guys go out and get your very first plunger. It looks like he's trying to hide his identity with that giraffe mask. Too late, Elliot. The blogosphere knows it was you!

    ReplyDelete