Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just Like Jesus.

It may sound funny to say you have a favorite Bible, but I do.  I had a different favorite Bible, which I still miss.  It's like an old friend.  As the words on the page convict or touch my heart (through the Holy Spirit), I underline the words.  Or I might make notes as to the date or why those specific words mean something to me.  It makes it easier to find them again later.  I love the feel of my bible, the size and the translation.  Sadly, several years ago, the binding broke in an unfixable way. .... believe me, I tried the ol' duct tape effect with no such luck.

Now, I'm reading "Grace for the Moment."  It's a daily bible with devotional writings at the beginning of each day by Max Lucado.  These small devotionals are always so right on and easy to read that I decided that I'd really like to read anything by Max Lucado that I can get my hands on. 

My first Lucado book...  "Just Like Jesus."  It was a quick and easy read.  simple, yet profound.  Totally recommend it. 


One of the passages that stuck out to me was is when Lucado shares about how the shepherds, Simeon and even the Magi sought Jesus when he was born.  He writes...

The Magi had the same desire. Like Simeon, they wanted to see Jesus.  Like the shepherds, they were not satisfied with what they saw in the night sky.  Not that the star wasn't spectacular.  Not that the star wasn't historical.  To be a witness of the blazing orb was a privilege, but for the Magi, it wasn't enough.  It wasn't enough to see the light over Bethlehem; they had to see the Light of Bethlehem.  It was him they came to see.

And they succeeded!  They all succeeded.  More remarkable than their diligence was Jesus' willingness.  Jesus wanted to be seen!  Whether they came from the pasture or the palace, whether they lived in the temple or among the sheep, whether their gift was of gold or honest surprise. . . they were welcomed.  Search for one example of one person who desired to see the infant Jesus and was turned away.  You won't find it. 

You will find examples of those who didn't seek him.  Those, like King Herod, who were content with less.  Those, like the religious leaders, who preferred to read about him than to see him.  The ratio between those who missed him and those who sought him is thousands to one.  But the ratio between those who who sought him and those who found him was one to one.  All who sought him found him.  Long before the words were written, this promise was proven: "God . . . rewards those who truly want to find him" (Hebrews 11:6).

It makes me want to keep opening my Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment