Monday, November 1, 2010

Yum!

As you may have heard, I recently made a change in my career path and am now staying home.  Surprisingly, I've managed to stay pretty busy as I'm looking into new opportunities.  I love having a morning routine, and I'm amazed at how quickly the hours in the day go. 

Recently, I decided to pull out one of my Paula Dean magazines.  She's my kinda cook... good, American food without all the fluff.  Of course, healthy isn't the staple of her recipes, but you can be sure they'll taste good.  I've been wanting to make fried chicken, and this issue had options for about four or five different kinds of fried chicken.  I decided on the chicken fried chicken along with a recipe for pepper gravy and smashed potatoes.  I was so excited that it turned out well that I took a picture of my plate. :)  My husband loved it too, which always makes me happy.  Makes me feel like a real cook. :)



It's been fun having time to plan, shop and cook some nice meals for our dinner... rather than the regular spaghetti, which by the way, I'm looking for a good, home recipe for spaghetti sauce if anyone wants to share theirs. The only catch is not having an idea how much it will cost if you're needing a lot of new ingredients.  We're working on the cash system and living in a budget.  Last week, along with the regular groceries, i.e. milk, cereal, bread, I had a list of items for a couple of new recipes I wanted to make.  Thinking I had plenty of cash on me (and my cart seeming so NOT full), I didn't bother to really count up the cost before going through the check out lane.  I started to perspire a bit as I noticed the $$ going higher and closer to my cut off line. darn those spices.  Thankfully, I didn't go over, but I'm not sure what I would have done if I had.  My gut reaction was to pull out the ol' card.  The next time I went through the line, I kept back the "maybe's" on my list until I had a chance to confirm the math in my head was the same as the cashier's total.  This probably sounds stressful and crazy, but there's a part of me that loves it.  This is a new challenge, but it's kind of freeing... when we're done, we're done.

In other news, the Colts are playing the Texans tonight.  Hope it's a good game as the Colts' injured list continues to grow by the week.

1 comment: