Yesterday, we went shopping to fill our Operation Christmas Child boxes. It was so much fun filling our boxes and finding just the right gifts to put in them. My sister, grandpa, mom, daughter, and I went out in the morning, and then Hubs, Baby Girl and I went back in the evening for Hub's box.
I am overflowing with thankfulness and love and will cherish this memory!
I wanted to find a little stuffed animal doggie for my box (for a little girl my daugther's age) because Baby Girl loves dogs SO much. I was disappointed in the lack of stuffed animals and prayed while I searched the toy aisles. I started looking at some small Disney stuffed toys of Mickey, Minnie, etc. when I came across Lady the dog. At first, I just thought, "Oh, this is so cute. Baby Girl would love this." Then, it hit me like a ton of bricks that this was the dog for my girl box!
Later that night, one of the main things Hubs wanted was a soccer ball for his boy box because on all of the mission trips and countries he's been to, they always play soccer. Low and behold there were smaller, real soccer balls that fit perfectly in his box!
I was so glad that my sister and grandpa came too. Seeing their joy and giving. My grandma passed away on Sept. 8th. So it's a blessing to include my grandpa in new memories. He told me several times that this was one of the biggest blessings that he's been a part of. My sister has two boys but filled her box with tons of girlie Hello Kitty items. It was busting with goodies. When I asked her why she chose a girl box, she said she rarely gets to buy girl things besides for Baby Girl and a sweet neighbor girl. And she went all out girl style. And in her letter, she reminded the sweet child who will receive her box just how SPECIAL she is to God.
The whole experience was so touching.
I think I'm most blessed because I've been reading Franklin Graham's book about OCC. He wrote the book because they're celebrating 20 years and over 100 Million boxes delivered!! This book is filled with amazing, only God could do that, stories....from the receivers, to givers, to distribution planners, to how OCC came to be, to the importance of the logo, to those who follow up with the children and do Bible studies with them. It's truly ALL God at work through His children. I wish I could share every story with you.
I recently prayed that God would use me for what He's doing. I have no doubt that He put this book in my hand (and that prayer in my heart). What a blessing to get to be a part of this amazing ministry! I would love to share this book with EVERYONE who wants to read it. The good news is that it's on sale at LifeWay right now.
http://www.lifeway.com/Product/operation-christmas-child-P005540523?intcmp=LWMain-Best4-OperationChristmasChild-20131104
"Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer." (Ps. 66:20)
p.s. I know a lot of friends already fill boxes for themselves or with their children. But if you're interested or this is the first time you've heard of Operation Christmas Child, check out www.samaritanspurse.org for all the details of how to fill a shoebox for a child. The children who receive these boxes are so grateful. For many, this is the first gift they've ever received. And with every shoe box, the child learns of the love of Jesus Christ.
Also, it's not too late to fill a box for 2013. National Collection Week is Nov. 18-25, 2013. You can find where to drop off your box on their website as well.



I have always loved Operation Christmas Child and will have to track down that book as I am sure it is neat to hear all of the stories!
ReplyDeleteHow fun to see your post in my Feedly feed! Yay! I really enjoyed hearing how your fam picked out the gifts in their boxes! So cool! It really encouraged me because I love giving "just the right gift" but sometimes I think that I'm being silly or that my talent/passion for gift giving is overrated or unneeded. Reading how much that outfit from her older brother meant to your mom was so neat! We really touch someone's heart and bring them so much encouragement with a thoughtful gift. And sometimes those gifts are awesomely over-the-top like an ENTIRE outfit! I guess it makes sense because God is the ultimate gift giver, right!? I mean the way he gave his Son and the way he gave you and me the BEST husbands in the entire world is pretty much proof of his extravagant gift-giving skills!! :) And that book sounds FAB! I'm definitely going to read it! :) xo P.S. I'm very impressed with your sister's Hello Kitty gift giving!! ;)
ReplyDelete