Friday, October 12, 2012

This Summer's Reading List




This summer, I have so enjoyed doing a study on Nehemiah by Kelly Minter. It is a book of the Bible that our church covered many years ago but had to cut short. Having never finished it, it's been on my to-do list for some time.  The one thing that stuck with me from my first experience with Nehemiah was that when he prayed and asked God to forgive and help and change the Israelites, he included himself in that prayer. He asked God to start with forgiving HIM.  

After the study this summer, I am more amazed by the guy. He has quickly become one of my favorite men who lived in the Old Testament. I also really like the way Kelly Minter wrote the study. I didn't get frustrated with the questions, and I got a lot out of it. Actually, it's already been a couple of months since I finished this, and I could already stand to go back over it and refresh my memory on what I learned.  I do remember this...it was exactly what I needed when I needed it. Isn't that like God? :)

Thankfully, I did take notes. And I do remember that Nehemiah's prayers were beautiful and powerful. He knew WHO he was talking to... the Creator of ALL!  Nehemiah faced tremendous challenges, but he was was resolved that God would fulfill his vision. "He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it." I Thes. 5:24.  And when the people worked together, they accomplished great things.  They BUILT the wall and set the gates.  

Putting this into my life, I need to remember that I serve a GREAT GOD.  And not to get discouraged or distracted when I feel a calling in my life. 

The other book in the picture above is called "Love Does" by Bob Goff.  It is so good that we have bought or loaned out our copy to several people. We got it from the church as a thank you for being Life Group leaders. 

I have to say that at first I thought, "Oh, cool. The Hubs will like this." He's a big fan of "Blue Like Jazz" who author wrote the forward to this book.  But once Hubs started reading, he would say, "This is too good. I'm not going to say anything, but you have to read this." By the time we went to bed, he had read three chapters saying, "You have to read this. It's too crazy, but I can't tell you. So read it." And then, he couldn't take it and told me one of the stories anyway that night anyway.  

So, I knew I had to pick it up and start reading to stay up with the stories he was reading. Then we could talk about it together while it was fresh in our minds too. 

And I have to say, I was not disappointed. The stories are so crazy and TRUE...and all about the same guy. What a life and what a way to live your life. Doing Love. Showing Love and Compassion to others. Without an agenda. Just doing love.  It's amazing, and I highly recommend it.  That's all. I can't say anymore. You just have to get a copy and read it for yourself. :)



I have also picked up some "light reading" about babies this summer.  Above is a pic of some of the books others recommended that were helpful to me.  They each had nuggets of wisdom concerning how to take care of a newborn.  Crazy, I know, but the saying that babies don't come with "how-to" manuals is true! 

1 comment:

  1. One of the pastors at our church recommended 'Love Does' to me just a few weeks ago! I got it, but I haven't read it yet. I'm really excited though!!

    ReplyDelete